Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

the sailing



So on our last day, we wanted to go out with a bang; so we decided to try out sailing. We walked to probably 4 different hobby cat stations up and down the beach to try and find the best deal. We didn't find the deal we wanted, but I just told Kevin "Lets go for it!!!!" Because I was tired of makin' deals with the mexis. They are very stubborn people and so was my husband. He wanted 2 hours for $60, which 2 hours was not even offered, and which $60 was what they wanted for one hour. Boy can my husband bargain... We ended up getting 1 hour 20 minutes for $45, but then all we had was a $50 and the mexi wouldn't give us the $5 back, he just kept saying "tip, tip." Kevin was not happy about this. Kevin also did not want a tour guide to come out with us so he encouraged the mexi that he had one of these at home and has had no problem sailing it (he actually does have a tiny sailboat he made in wood shop). We even tried to be like "Oh no we don't have a watch, we won't know when to come back...." to try and give us a way out if we were late, but this didn't work. "Take mine," and the mexi gave us his watch. Darn it. Ok 1 hour and 20 minutes is all we got.

I was a bit nervous going out, but quickly realized that Kevin clearly did know what he was doing and we would be ok. It was amazing how much speed you could get on one of those little sailboats. It was Christmas morning to Kevin, he was hooting and hollering the whole time. As you would go out further and further, the ocean color would change colors, so every color change we would stop and jump in. We were so glad we brought a snorkel mask because the water was brilliantly clear. We stopped quite a bit out the first time and Kevin jumped in. I am not a big fan of deep, far out ocean, but Kevin insisted I jump in and see. You could see the perfect rolling sand bottom 30 feet down, and that was all you could see in all directions. It was amazingly pretty, but amazingly scary at the same time. I probably stayed in for a good 5 seconds and then hopped right out. I was just imagining this great big white shark coming out of nowhere. I deemed myself watchdog while kevin tried to touch the bottom. There were going to be no sharks eating my man!

We then ventured out farther and farther, way past the buoy they noted you couldn't go past. We wanted to go to Cozumel, or Kevin did at least. We ended up in the deep, dark ocean, the scary ocean you see in movies with huge rolling waves. It was scary, no really scary. I was screaming as we would literally catch air off the waves. Kevin was still hooting and hollering. He had never been in the deep ocean like this before, this was all completely new territory for him. As for me, this was not new. I was thinking about all the deep sea fishing and snorkel tours I had done that had left me a sea sick vegetable for the entire day. I again thought to myself "Why on earth do I keep allowing myself to go out on little boats in big water?" I get sick every time but I always seem to forget. I did feel the nauseous stomach coming on, but luckily it didn't stay with me.

After I talked Kevin into heading closer to shore, we headed to where all the scuba boats were. We stopped the boat and hung out and jumped in to swim with the fishies.

As we finally made our way back to the beach, the mexican was pretty impressed with Kevin's skills. He of course then told him that he should now take out their even faster, racing Hobbycat and pointed to one a little farther down the beach. So I guess next time we make it to Playa, we will be taking out the racing sailboat.

We did take GoPro footage of all of this, but the card is not wanting to upload onto our computers :( So maybe one day I will be able to upload them.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a blast! I'm also very jealous about your water being super clear. I'm glad you made Kevin just do it even though he couldn't get the deal he wanted. Sounds like it was well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh ha ha, that sounds exactly like Dan. He told them he had training (aka "small boat merit badge") so we could go out by ourselves.

    ReplyDelete