Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

day numero uno

Our first day we got up early to check out the snorkeling right off our beach. It was a bit windy and wavy that morning so I guess that scared the fish away. For the rest of the week, the mornings were beautiful, so we were able to get some good snorkeling in to make up for the first day. We took some gopro footage which should be awesome so when I find that gopro of ours (which I told kevin I would look for this morning...woops...) I will upload the videos.

We were super excited for our first breakfast. It was again, just as we had remembered. Our favorite part was the freshly squeezed juice and the fresh, perfectly-ripe mangoes (or Mangitos, thats what I call them in my Mal Spanish). The juice is probably my favorite. I am not a huge juice girl, but give it to me fresh and your my friend. They had fresh pineapple, orange, watermelon, and cantaloupe juice. YUMMY! We also figured out that the little menu on the table of specially prepared eggs is FREE! Kevin ordered something different every morning; he was in heaven. It is amazing how much that husband of mine can eat. Every morning he would eat 4 whole mangoes, pineapple, sausage, hash browns, at least 5 different kinds of mexican pastries and then a plate of mexican style eggs. It amazed me.

oh they also had fresh smoked salmon, it was awesome for breakfast!


Since Sunday is the big party night for Mexicans, monday morning we found all sorts of people sleeping on the beach passed out drunk. This kid lasted the longest. He was on that beach all afternoon. He would try and wake up and get up, but you could tell he had the worst hangover ever, so he would go right back to sleep. Sorry buddy, but we did not feel bad for you. You brought it upon yourself.
Kevin brought his skim-board to try out the waves in Mexico. He ended up meeting the local skim-boarders and planning boy-dates with them every night. He's good at making friends. On the last night, all his buddies (I called them his boyfriends) did NOT want him to leave. But Kevin reassured them that he would be back in a few years.
Every day the lovely cleaning ladies left us a treat. A towel treat that is.
We hit the town for lunch. We found this place called "100% Natural." It was a cute little restaurant nestled in greenery and shade, but shade was the main draw for us. We were still trying to get used to the heat and humidity as you can tell in the picture below.
It even had a fruit waterfall.
Wow it was hot.
They had so many different juiced drinks, "elixirs" they called them. I chose one with ginger, apple and pineapple. It was super good, but of course not cold. How I hate anywhere outside of the states. Us Americans love our ice too much. Kevin got a mango smoothie.
The whole idea of this place was complete health. They had this little information tablet on the table that told you all about healthy foods, healthy habits, meditation and the like. Those Mexicans are becoming so zen.
I got a chicken/raisin/lettuce/ and cream cheese wrap with a hibiscus flower dressing. That dressing was. the. best.
Kevin getting all artsy with his chicken fajitas.
After lunch we wanted to find the big super market to buy treats and water. We had remembered this huge super market right next to the bus station that we went to last time we were here so headed on over. When we got there we were so disappointed to find it gone. Later did we find out that there are TWO bus stations in Playa. Duh. So we ended up walking 15 miles to Walmart (not really, but it sure felt like it in that heat). Yes we found the Walmart. We were shopping with all the locals. And look at this treasure that we found. MEXICAN PASTRIES. They have some darn good pastries so we were excited about this find. We bought a huge two gallon jug of water, some Takis (a great mexican chip treat), and some nasty watermelon suckers kevin wanted but later found out that they were covered in chipotle powder. No bueno. Our walk back was real fun with our backpack full of yummies and a huge jug of water. But it was worth it. That is probably the best thing you can do in mexico is buy your water in huge jugs. If you don't, you will be spending $3 on every bottle of water that you find (where the jug was $1.50). We ended up just filling the free water bottle our resort gave us over and over again and taking that everywhere with us.

For dinner we had filet mignon. Yummy. Kevin taught me how to ask "Do you have ketchup" in spanish. I deemed this important enough to learn. When I asked our server "Tiene salsa de tomate?" I am sure he thought I was a stupid American. Sorry, I just really like ketchup with my steak.
Other important terms I learned was "vaso de hielo" "glass of ice"
"Beunos Dias" good morning
"Beunas Tardes" good afternoon
"Beunas Noches" good evening
I loved saying those over and over again. I would always accompany them with "Me llamo Malorie." Just to cram in as much spanish into one sentence that I could.
Chocolate cake for dessert.

And that was our first fun-filled day. Of course between all of this food was lounging on the beach, playing in the waves and reading. We wanted this trip to be easy and beach centered. And boy was it.

1 comment:

  1. you are making me want to go back there so bad. except the food at our resort kinda sucked. next time we are going to this place!

    ReplyDelete