Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

airplanes and airports






This lady looked like my mom.




I love to travel. I especially love to travel when you get to go to the airport. I don't really like the actual idea of flying on a airplane with 100's of people and their heavy luggage, but I get over it for the idea of the arrival at some awesome place soon (if the plane doesn't crash that is). I love the feeling of taking off, but after that I can get pretty nervous with any sort of "turbulence" the captain speaks of. Any time the captain comes on with "We are about to go through some rough turbulence ahead, I am going to ask you to fasten your seat belt for your safety," it directly translates in my mind to: "We are about to crash but I can't say that so I am going to say "turbulence" and I might as well add that you put on your seat belt even though it won't do squat in the instance of a crash." Ah the stress the captain puts me through.

On our flight from Salt Lake to Dallas Ft. Worth, we actually tried to take off and right when we we were about to lift off we started to slow. "Uh oh that can't be good..." Kevin says. I just about pooped my pants. It ended up just being a mechanical error that was quickly fixed (well an hour), but I honestly just wanted to switch planes. I didn't really feel comfortable in a plane that had a problem with its staling censor. I didn't want to "stall" 30,000 ft in the air. But here I am, still alive, so it all worked out fine I suppose.

Since the plane didn't show any movie (stupid) we had to entertain ourselves with UNO, which I learned that Kevin loves to cheat at therefore always win at, and my favorite movie Coraline. Kevin hates this move, but he still watched some with me. We even tried to watch it with the cool 3D glasses the DVD came with, but it ended up just giving us a headache. Oh the technology of today.
American Airlines did have one totally cool thing. They gave you an ENTIRE CAN OF ANY DRINK YOU WANTED. Yes this is big. I am used to Delta where they only give you a cup full of ice and them some drink. Delta, learn from American Airlines.

After our long day of traveling, we finally arrived at the Cancun airport around 8:00 pm. The humidity gets you right away. It definitely takes a few days to get used to. We then had to take a bus to Playa del Carmen, which we rode with couples that were so interested in "the mormon couple." It all started with the question "Where are you from?" And then you get questions and remarks like this:
"Salt Lake huh, you Mormon?"
"I hear there is a big gang problem in Salt Lake, like the Mormons brought in the gangs or something... I saw it on the Discovery Channel." (umm.. what?)
"Yeah we see those commercials your church makes about your...book...Book of Mormon! They send them to anyone for free."
"Did you do that mission thing for a couple of years?"
"Is she your only wife?"

Everyone loves talking about the Mormons.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha! Have you seen the show Gangland? They highlight the Tongan Crip Gang in Salt Lake City, they consider themselves mormon! That is def. what they were referencing. It is actually really interesting, but no the mormons did not bring in gangs haha.

    ReplyDelete