Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

sometimes, I have to flutter my eyes just a little

I like to procrastinate. With everything. I like doing stuff right before they are due or needed. Because there is always a thousand other things I would like to do instead of this thing I "need" to get done. Well, I am horrible about getting a parking pass, and every semester I wait until after the last minute. There is this great thing called Free Parking up at the University of Utah. Have you never heard of it? If you haven't, you are missing out. All you have to do is take an Institute class. Its that easy. Well I always forget to sign up for institute when I sign up for my curricular courses. Its only until I see the signs as I am walking past the institute doors "Get your parking pass NOW Malorie!" "Malorie, it is already too late to get your pass, but try anyway!" "Malorie your car is getting ticketed TODAY!", that I remember.
I pulled into the institute parking lot on Monday and it all came really fast... Crap crap crap I need a parking pass! I see a kid on his ticketing bike already giving out tickets like they are actually wanted. Crap. So I think, I will park in the most secretive spot possible and get away with this no-pass thing I do every semester. I park in the far lot, and find a spot between two huge cars so I can barely squeeze in and hide. While I am trying to cover up my green sticker (Fall 2010) on my old institute parking pass with my leaf car freshener, a biker boy rides on in front of me. I make eye contact with him and give him a slight smile, making sure he sees that I am a really nice girl and just needs to be forgiven this one time. I get out of my car, put my gloves on to hide the wedding ring ( you are o.k. with that right, Kevin?...), and walk on past him as he comes back to my car. I don't look back, knowing I would jinx myself, and run off to class.
I walk back after a days worth of classes with every limb possible crossed, all in hopes I didn't have a ticket...and lo and behold... NO TICKET!! It had worked! The fluttering of the eyes had worked. It was a miracle. And I made it a goal that I would find a class to go to on Tuesday, because I mean, I had gotten away with parking that day and thats all I needed.
So don't worry, today I found a class after my night class to attend. And it actually worked out awesome because the only class there was taught by my most favorite teacher Brother Line, who I was hoping would remember me from last semester and give me a break. Well even though I arrived 30 minutes late (my capstone class overlaps), I made sure to participate in his class and let him know I wanted to be there. After class I went up, introduced myself (he remembered me) and said "You know... Brother Line I would love to get a parking pass even though I haven't been here for the past three classes..." And wa-bam, I got one. That easy. It is always such an accomplishment for me when I get that institute parking pass in my hand. Its like I had just ran a marathon (yeah right.... a half marathon) and won ( no... lets just say, and finished that half marathon). That would feel real good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment