Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

as of late


The photo that won the Salt Lake Shootout 2010. This year, it will be Kevin.

Nothin too exciting happening over here at the Brower residence lately. Kevin has been doing the Salt Lake Shootout all this week which means he is gone from 7 am to 10 pm every day. Joy. But he has been skiing, so he is a happy camper. And by golly have I ever mentioned how much work it is to feed this man of mine? I think cooking and packing food for him could be a full-time job.

It has just been school and work for me. My classes can be quite a headache this time around; every week I leave my health econ class with one. There is a lot of debating. For both (in actuality, 3) of my classes, my professors and TA's have let their political beliefs shine right on through. There is no holding back; especially for my health econ professor. She is pretty stubborn. But in reality, especially here in Utah, we are all pretty stubborn about our beliefs and political views. So you can imagine the heat this causes in my classes.

So one argument we had in class was whether health care was a human right or not.
What do you believe?
I personally believe it is not. I believe health care should be obtained, not freely given. I cannot stand to think about all the lazy, no-good people out there receiving government money, our tax dollars, every month and calling it good. Thinking that they don't need to work, don't need to add to our society, and don't need to pay back there debt to our country. I know there are people out there who need it and don't abuse it. I know there are people that need help. But I know there is also a lot of lazy people out there too. Even just talking to a kid in my class who is an EMT in Salt Lake has helped back my thoughts. He says that the majority of people that call for an ambulance and receive emergency care are under Medicaid. He also says that the majority of the people that call are hypochondriacs and call weekly. Most of you know that emergency care is very expensive. Well, we are paying for all of these visits. Too many people think, oh our government has it don't worry, they pay for it. No this is not how it works, where does the government get its money?.....Us. And lots of the time, these people go to the ER, get treated, and don't pay their fees. Who covers this? We do.

I told my group in my class how I felt about this, and they could not believe me (other than the EMT kid, he had my back). They thought I was a horrible person, not caring about the poor people in our nation, how could you!? they said. One kid in particular thought I was the worst person on earth. I asked him if he paid taxes. He didn't answer. He just said he wanted to "equalize the playing field." You know, socialize; spread the wealth. I told him a story. I said ok kid, lets say we socialize this class. That would mean that we all would have to do equal work, equal studying, equal presenting, equal everything. Well so far A. You have missed an entire class (3 hour class, only 3 classes so far) B. You are always late to class C. You have completely missed a test (aka you failed) and D. On the one test you did take you pretty much failed (sorry kid I saw your score). As for me, I have been to every class, taken every test, did well on the tests, and I am always on time. But because of us being socialized, I take care of your failures and absences. I equal it out. So how do you think I feel right now? I work very hard, I dedicate my time; where you are lazy, late and fail. Can you see why maybe I don't like you? Why maybe I don't think it is fair?
Wabaam.

Ok maybe that was what I really wanted to say to him, but because I am way too nice for that I couldn't.
I did debate with him though.
But I was nice.
Next time I am not going to be so nice and I will pull out my mean side.
Lazy kid bewaaaarre!

No comments:

Post a Comment