Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

sometimes in april



I somehow found this amazing movie on Netflix. I can honestly say it is as good as Hotel Rwanda. And boy is that saying a lot because do I love that movie.
This portrayal of the genocide in Rwanda leaves you wondering how we never did anything; how the Rwandan government could be so corrupt; and how the Rwandan people could be so easily persuaded by government officials and their radio to kill one million people.
This movies gives a good history lesson at the beginning so you understand the history leading up to the genocide.
But I warn you, by the end of the movie you are emotionally drained.
It is hard to believe that this all happened in me and Kevin's lifetime. The violent beginning started in 1994! This is very recent history.
During one part they show the U.S. news and how everyone was worried and interested in the suicide of Nirvana's Kurt Cobain. I don't remember this (I was 6), but Kevin remembered.
"Oh that was when that happened?!"
I asked him if he remembered learning about the happenings in Rwanda. He hadn't.

It is so sad that politics over-rided helping a million people not be slaughtered during this time.

When we woke up this morning, the first thing Kevin said to me was:
"What are we going to do about Rwanda?"
He gets so emotionally involved in movies its cute.
I think he now wants to adopt a Rwandan baby.

I recommend this movie to everyone. Go get it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment