Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

treats treats treats

I am usually a cookie kind of girl but lately I have been on a brownie and bar rampage. Rampage I tell you. I just barely came upon these things called brownies. I had forgotten about this easy, yummy dessert until someone said the word "Brownie" at work and all the glorious, delicious memories came flooding back. How did I ever forget about these things?

I usually don't have someone to share my treats with since husband isn't the biggest fan of treats (why!? why!? WHY!?), but since we are Patrick-sitting, treat making is fun again! He loves my late night treat making. Hooray!

I came upon this recipe because my sister-in-law accidentally left her batch of these bars with us for a night. And boy did we enjoy them for the small amount of time they were with us. The next morning when she took them away, I had to make my own. They were too good.

Oatmeal Chocolate Caramel Bars

*Makes 9X13-inch pan of bars

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup melted butter

14 ounce bag of caramels
1/2 cup whipping cream or milk
1 12-ounce package semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degree. Mix the first six ingredients together and sprinkle half on the bottom of a 9X13-inch baking pan. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned.

Meanwhile, melt the caramels and whipping cream or milk in a saucepan over low heat or in the microwave at 50% power, stirring often, until the mixture is smooth. When the bars have been removed from the oven, sprinkle the chocolate chips over the crust and pour the melted caramel over the top. Sprinkle the rest of the crust over the top and bake in the oven for an additional 10-12 minutes, until the caramel is bubbling and edges are lightly browned. Cool the bars completely before serving so they can set up properly.

Recipe via here

1 comment: