Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

it's official.



So I finally got my diploma framed. I kept it in the DO NOT FOLD package it came in through the mail to constantly remind me to DO NOT FOLD. I am not good with official documents. When I was handed our Marriage Certificate after we sealed the deal, they told me it was better if the wife took care of this important paper.
Boy did I fool them!
For some reason I thought it would be ok if I rolled it up and put in in my purse. This later became all rolled up and crinkled in my purse. When my mom later asked for it so she could frame it, I am sure she was not surprised at all when I handed her what looked like "the homework my dog had eaten." I don't know what Wendy (the framer) did to make it look normal again but she delivered! It probably involved an iron.

When I got this in the mail, Kevin told me to be careful.
"This is the most expensive piece of paper you will ever handle," he said.
And boy is that true.
But then I got thinking...Shouldn't this be printed on gold or a copper plate ( I mean c'mon we have one the the largest copper mines right here in the valley)? Or, at least, hard card-stock. Ten cent printer paper is just not cuttin' it for me.
C'MON!
At least the seal on it makes it look good.

I get a lot of questions from people after I tell them I am a graduate. They ask "So what are you going to do with it now?!" "What is your career path?" "How old are you?"
Now let me answer these for you.
I am old enough to be a graduate. I am 23 years of age, not 18 or 19 or 14 for that matter.
For now, I am happy with the job I have now. I know it is not related to my degree in any manner. But I like it. I get good money. I work good hours. My Boss is a great guy and extremely generous and I work with great people. What's not to like?

"Why would I go to college and spend all that hard work just so I could be a waitress now?!"
Well, to be honest I have never seen myself as a career lady. Thinking of sitting at a desk, answering a phone all day gives me anxiety. That is not something I want to do. I like to move and interact while I work. With my job, I do just this.

I went to school so I could experience college, earn a degree (for if anything were to happen to Kevin, I could get a real job), push myself, learn, interact with students my age, learn how to be independent, and gain respect for myself. And I did just this. So I am happy. It is quite an accomplishment to graduate from college, so I don't really appreciate when people counter that statement with "Well you didn't do anything with it..."

I went with a degree that I could use for the rest of my life, something that interested me, and will continue to interest me. I use my degree every day.

And one day I want to be a mom and only a mom.

And a thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Enough said!!!! YOU GO MAL!! A mom is the best career in the world! HUgs- Kris

    ReplyDelete