Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Mt. Hood, part 2

On one day, after I had done my morning trail run to Mirror Lake (2 miles up, 2 miles down!), the boys wanted to come home early so we could go into Portland.  Mitchell wanted to check out the well known Burnside skate park.  I also needed to buy more books since the 2 books I brought I had devoured on the drive there.
When we arrived to Portland, we quickly realized trying to find parking in the middle of downtown was going to be impossible.  Well, free parking that is.  I made Kevin pull into a $7 pay to park lot.  This was really hard for him.  He was raised to be frugal!!  But we made Mitchell pay for it because he was the whole reason we were trying to find parking.
When we walked up to Burnside, we realized this was no normal skate park; it was a scare park.  Some  weirdos threw a rock at us when we walked up.  I just glared at them.  Yeah, It probably scared them.

You should have seen the people that were here.  One homeless looking guy was sitting in a car seat and yelling "BUUUURRNNNSSSIDE!" the entire time.  A group of skaters were passing a joint around.  An eight year old girl (or so) was drinking a beer and trying to make her dog drink it (who wouldn't).  Everyone looked haggard and life-less.  
They were all incredibly good skaters though.  All the boys were completely impressed.  When Kevin saw the park and saw the skaters, he put down his board and very seriously said "I am not skating that."  It made me laugh.  Mitchell skated it and did pretty good.  It was a humbling experience for him though, since he is normally the best skater in any park here.

We then found a Barnes & Noble nearby which was in a mall.  Yes, I got four boys to go into a mall with me.  It was a spectacular scene.  Such good sports. 
The view at Mirror Lake.
I found a mini-pinecone on my run.

On the Burnside Bridge.
This alone scared me.

There goes Mitchell!
The boys watching in awww.

No comments:

Post a Comment