Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

how to: tofu



I love tofu. I am not sure where this love came from, but whenever tofu is an option on the menu, I get it. At restaurants I loved the texture, flavor and density of their tofu. But I never really knew how to make it at home. I knew that you had to press it, but never wanted to really invest in a tofu press. Sounded silly to me. So I made it without pressing it, but it never was how I wanted it to be.

But then I decided to make my own press. Maybe after 500 pressings, my husbands textbooks will have been worth the money.

On second thought, this is a pretty expensive tofu press.

Yummy Tofu:

Buy the firm or extra firm tofu.
Cut into long slabs.
Place a towel on a baking sheet.
Place cut tofu on towel.
Cover with another towel.
Place a cutting board/bread board on top.
Place books, dogs, children, or husbands on top for 20 min to 2 hours.

Then marinate the pressed tofu in whatever marinade you like. Tofu marinates and holds onto flavor great. I used this:


Let it marinate for a few hours.
Then broil marinated tofu for 6-7 minutes per side.

It is sooo good.
Even Kevin really liked it and he hates any type of "healthy" food I try to make him.

Now I just need Costco to get tofu. I bought two packages of tofu from Harmons and we easily ate it all. I need this in bulk people!

No comments:

Post a Comment