Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

conversing with hippies

I work with some hippies. I really do like them and enjoy working with them, but they can be funny at times. It seems like every hippie (and liberal- these two go hand in hand) I have met, they really like to talk. They like to talk about their adventure that day, this inspiring book they are reading, what they did that day to help the earth, how "green" they are, and what they are organically growing in their garden.
These hippies everyday at work ask "What did you do today?" My answer is always "Went to school, did homework." Pretty lame to them. I of course (have) to ask them back "What did you do today?" (And this is actually awesome of me because I usually lack the easy and every-day social skills such as asking "How are you?" and "How was your day?" Because honestly, I really don't care. Everyone just says good or great and thats the end of it. So if I don't ask you these questions next time I see you, I am sorry. If you have something exciting to tell me, don't wait for me to ask about it, just tell me)
Well these hippies of course always reply with:
"Well I woke up to a beautiful snow-filled day and decided to take my dog Sandy on a walk, we enjoyed our walk, we enjoyed it so much we decided to give back to the earth and pick up trash on our walk. I then decided to make some cookies with some organically enhanced butter. They were delicious. I then decided to go para-gliding. I then came home to some homemade chili cooking in the crock pot. I then read this book that is so inspiring and liberal. I then watched a 45 min movie about a seagull flying through the air and listened to his thoughts in poem form. I am so hippie and sophisticated."
You may think I am kidding about some of these, but I am not.
Next time they tell me such stories I will one-up them. If they picked up trash on their walk, I volunteered that day and picked up trash all over campus. If they made cookies with organic butter, well I made cookies with organic flour, organic sugar, organic salt, actual cocoa beans, and organic butter. If they went para-gliding, I went flying. If they made homemade chili, I made beef bourguignon (which I really do need to make), If they read an inspiring, liberal book, I read Dreams From My Father, and if they watched a poem movie about seagulls, I will just say you are dumb.

2 comments:

  1. hahahahhahahahha mal, i love this! you are a crack up, and i totally agree with everything you just said! i'm terrible at asking the normal, "how are you, what have you done today?" type questions. Even when people ask ME them, I usually don't even THINK to ask them back. I was just realizing this a few weeks ago. People probably think i'm a big jerk... oh well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know people probably think im a total brat! em, we would make the bestest of friends!

    ReplyDelete