Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Yummy Rice

I made (and kevin, he would be mad if I left him out) this last night for dinner. The rice was sooo yummy. It was moist and flavorful. And I like any recipe with the spice garam masala, it is amazing. I made kevin de-shell the pistachios and crush them because I knew this would probably take a while. So thank you kevin for all your hard work, it took him the entire time I was cooking to do this.

Coconut Rice with Pistachios
(from Kitchen Cafe Blog)

1 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, minced
1 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (an Indian spice blend found in most supermarkets)
1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup chopped pistachios, lightly toasted
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves

I left the peas out, yuck. I have hated peas my whole life; I wont stop now. But I will happily leave that in the recipe so all you pea lovers can add them if you want. I also used light coconut milk.

Add 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet and return to medium heat until rippling. Add the onion, garam masala, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Stir in the chicken broth and coconut milk, scraping up any browned bits. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.

Add the pistachios and cilantro and gently fold into the rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.

2 comments: