Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Recipe: healthy chocolate ganache cake

I made a chocolate cake!  
It's rich and moist.
And it's healthy...Well there still is sugar in it, and the frosting is no compromise... But it is as good as it can get for an edible, actually awesome, chocolate cake.
This recipe replaces oil and butter for zucchini or carrots (I added both for good measure) and applesauce.  I used pear sauce because that is what I had on hand.

I got the recipe via Yammie's Noshery.
I modified only two things.

Healthy, or shall I say, Better For You, Chocolate Cake

2/3 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2/3 cup applesauce
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup shredded zucchini or carrots
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)

I doubled this to fill two cake pans.  And I put chocolate chips in only one.

Preheat oven to 350.
Combine everything before applesauce and mix.  Add the rest and mix until just combined.
Pour into a greased cake pan or bundt pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.


I then wanted a really good ganache to put on top and in the center of my cake.

Chocolate Ganache Frosting

6 ounces bittersweet chocolate ( I added some real milk chocolate as well)
6 ounces heavy cream

Heat the heavy cream in a microwave safe dish for 2-3 minutes on high, or until it begins to simmer.  Pour the cream over the chocolate and let stand for 2 minutes.  Using a stand mixer, mix until combined and chocolate is melted and smooth throughout.  Let it cool.  




No comments:

Post a Comment