Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

How To: make your own kombucha

My mother gave me a SCOBY for Christmas! What is a SCOBY you ask? It's an acronym for Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast. It is the living mushroom that is formed from living kombucha cultures during the fermentation process.

Kevin believes that this drink can heal anything. He is a real Hippie you see. No I kid, he just believes it can ward off a cold. Any time he has felt something come on, he drinks a bottle of this and it goes away. And I believe him. And me, I just like the taste of it. But since it is around $4.00 a bottle, we buy it sparingly. But look no further Malorie! Your mother has made it possible for you to make your OWN kombucha!! It is quite crazy. I tasted some of the liquid swimming around the 'Mother' aka SCOBY and it tasted exactly like the bottled kombucha. Awesome.

So if anyone wants a 'baby' from my next batch I am selling them for $1000, no $10,000! Kidding. For family its free. For all you random's its $5. This is hard work people!



This is what I got for Christmas. "Mother...what...is this?.."




The 'MOTHER!'




So if you want to learn how to make your own:

Here's a recipe.

Heres a video to watch that helped me a ton. I maybe watched it 3 times.



I just made my first batch. Now I have to wait between 5-30 days for the final product. I will let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment