Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

i now want some fried chicken

I demanded the husband take Friday off of work so he could get some much needed Mal time in. And he did. I didn't think it would be that easy. But I guess when you plan a fun day, husbands just cant resist.

I started it off with a good breakfast of sausage and eggs for him, protein shake for me.

We then went and saw an 11:30 am showing of The Help.
Wow is this a crazy time to see a movie. You get a whole different crowd. Kevin was such a great husband for going with me: he was the only guy in the theater (I bribed him into going with me by our next activity of the day).

We both enjoyed this movie. I recommend it to everyone. It made me think of fried chicken all day. I might just have to make me some of that southern goodness soon. real soon.
Oh yeah I did try to read the book about a year ago. But I could not for the life of me get over the thick southern drawl used. It was 20x worse in the book than the movie. I got headaches reading it, so I gave up. I'm horrible I know.

So onto the next activity: Kennecott Copper Mine. You might think Kevin came up with this one, but in all honesty, I did. Kevin was quite impressed. I read in National Geographic that you could see it from space. Bull-crap I replied. I needed to see it to believe it (I had never been). So to see it we went.

This place is huge! I still don't know if I truly believe you can see it from space ( I mean c'mon...space? I must think space is a lot farther than it really is, or so Kevin tells me), but it truly is grand. What really made me giggle was how big the dump trucks were. Kevin was like those are huge!!! Look at those!!! I didn't believe him and didn't understand how big they were until I saw the little midgets walking around them. I for some reason thought this was hilarious and got the giggles and tears in the eyes. Oh the things that make me laugh.

We learned that these dump trucks are the size of two story houses.
They can carry up to 320 tons of mined rock.
And they get 1/3 mile per gallon.
They go through 30,000 gallons of diesel fuel a day (for the whole mining operation). Phewf.
We both just sat and watched these go back and forth for quite some time.

We also learned how exactly the copper and other elements are mined.
Fascinating.
I really recommend visiting. It was a great learning experience.
And your husband will love you forever because he is so happy. Watching Kevin there was like watching a kid in a toy store. He could not get enough and I loved it.







I mean look how small those guys are!!! Midgets I tell you. They hire only midgets here.





Kevin wanted to take a picture through the huge bino's. Great picture huh?


$25,000 per tire. per year. crazy.


2 comments:

  1. Right when I read your title I knew you had seen The Help. We went last night and I loved it. I feel like I need to read the book again and eat some fried chicken!

    Also, I just have to say that I laugh out loud at most of your posts. You really have a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that place in incredible! i know i've been there, but it's literally been over 10 years. it looks awesome, and i think you are right- dallin WOULD love it! thanks for sharing.

    and i agree with Lorna, i laugh out loud at most of your posts as well.

    ReplyDelete