Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

nuttella and deep sea fishing

ew ew you make me gag nuttella

Whenever I get sick, I always remember the meal I ate right before I got sick. My mind always associates that meal, usually one particular part of it, with sickness. For example, a good couple of years ago my family went to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. We decided that we had to try deep sea fishing. So the morning of our great adventure our friends brought this funky european spread, Nutella, for breakfast for all of us to try. We all spread it on some bread and were ready to fish. Well we head out to sea and I got soooo sick. So sick that all I could do to try and stop the pain was sleep. So I took some sea sickness pills and slept. Slept through most of the fun. I just remember waking up feeling the boat rock, and my stomach would guuuurrgle at me and I would go back to sleep. The pills finally did kick in and I luckily was able to fish one time. I caught a huge, I want to say 30 lbs (is that an over-eggageration?) mahi-mahi fish. It was a long fight to bring that bad boy in; but I won. It was a beauty too: bright yellow, blue and green. I remember I couldn't believe how pretty it was, and that I had caught it, but that was quickly forgotten when the first mate smacked the head of my fish with a bat. A bat. I didn't think to get out of the way, I mean I wanted to examine my fine catch, so I now had blood splattered all over me. I just sat and awkwardly stared while my dad chuckled. They had gotten used to this violence while I had been sleeping in the cabin.
So short story long, ever since this day, I have yet to even look at a Nutella jar. Just even thinking of it makes me sick. And that was a good 7 or so years ago. Sorry Nutella, you had no chance.

A few years later we went deep sea fishing again in Oregon. I honestly dont know what I was thinking. I simply must have completely forgotten about the previous time. That is the only explanation I have because I willingly went. I think I have a tendency to forget bad things that happen to me, which really is not a bad thing at all, but in this moment it was bad. I got even sicker this time. I slept the whole time. I didn't touch a fishing pole once. My family did a great job though, they caught coolers full of salmon, which luckily, they still allowed me to enjoy.

And a few years after that, my family went to Kawaii. We all decided it would be fun to go on a catamaran for a snorkel adventure. I willingly went on this too. Didn't even think twice. And what happened? I got sea sick. But this time, I had friends. Half of the boat was throwing up in a bucket that was quickly passed around. It just so happened that the day we went out, there were 50 ft waves running around. One almost took us out. When I finally got to step off of that boat I told myself Never Again. Never again will I put myself on a big boat, on the ocean.

But then, a few years after that we went on a cruise. Ha I am kidding I didn't get sick this time. But I did only remember my sea sickness ability once I stepped onto the boat, again.

So moral to my story is: Don't go deep sea fishing or catamaran snorkeling if you get sea sickness. It is not fun. But going on a cruise is A ok.
And second moral to my story is: Mom, Dad, when are we going on another family adventure?? I think its time!

No comments:

Post a Comment