Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

my great aunt katie turns 93

Last weekend my mother and my sister and I headed down to St. George to throw a classy birthday party for my great aunt Katie. She is my moms'-deceased-mothers'-sister. She was unable to have kids of her own, so the closest thing to kids she ever had was my mom and my uncle Corey. They both have been so good to her; I know she feels like they are kids of her own. Her husband died twenty or so years ago, so it has just been her for quite a while. So we made an excuse to visit her more often and decided a few years back to throw birthday parties for her at her club house. We invite all of her old friends from her retirement community, and tell them to dress up all fancy. This year we threw a Fancy Nancy party. If you haven't read this book, you should; Its a cute one. Its about a little girl who loves being fancy and thinks everyone and everything should always be fancy.

So this is her. Aunt Katie. She is the cutest lady. You would never think she is 93. She is smart, witty, and loves to chit chat. The only thing old about her is her hearing, but its not too bad. If you joke with her, she wont just laugh, she will give it right back at ya. In her time she has been a welder and a charter fisher-woman with her husband and their boat Patty B. She is a very strong women. I wouldn't be surprised if she lived pass 100 years old. Katies niece from Minnesota drove all the way to St. George just to attend the party. Her husband came to the door the morning of and said he had a delivery. When Patsy walked up Katie screamed PATSY!!!! They haven't seen each other for years and it was a teary-eyed moment.
Before we sang Happy Birthday to her, all the ladies started singing (and katie too) the K-K-K Katie song that her father would always sing to her when she was little. This is where she got her nickname Katie, her real name is Lanore. It was awesome to hear all these ladies sing this song for her and to her. My mom, sister and I all had yet another teary-eyed moment. These ladies love Katie so much. Oh and she wanted the numbers flipped to 39 on her cake.



I was chosen to read the Fancy Nancy book





Hadley was so much fun. She even got to dress up all fancy with her great-grandmother's pearls and clip-on earrings. She didn't even try to pull the earrings off, she loved them.

We are planning on putting another one for your 95th Birthday party Katie, so don't go anywhere! But we're not worried...



No comments:

Post a Comment