Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memorial Weekend 2010

For Memorial weekend we went down to Bryce National Park to bike. We took the little brother Patrick with us. We started off with a nice drive and a yummy lunch at Larry's in Filmore. Once we got to Bryce, we stopped at the visitor center to find out where some camping was. When Kevin asked where free camping was, the park ranger just laughed at us. He said we wouldn't find any but marked some places on a map for us. The first pull off of red canyon we found a perfect spot. It was all to ourselves. We quickly set up our tent and spot. Patrick warned us this tent was HUGE and there was no way we could get it up with just the three of us, but realized when it went up in 10 minutes he must of been quite little the last time they set up the tent. But it still was a big tent. It had two separate rooms, so we banned patrick to his own. That night we ate the delicious Costco hot dogs, and ended the night with Mals Corner. This is where I read aloud the book "She got up off the couch" by Haven Kimmel. I brought this book just for me to read but ended up reading aloud in the car ride because I thought it was a must-hear. Well it ended up that Kevin and Patrick liked it as well. They said that the little girls thoughts in this book sounded like something I would think or say so it was hilarious to hear me voice it. This little girl in this book has the funniest ideas and thoughts, it was entertaining campfire talk.
The HUGE tent
Mals Corner

Kevin making eggs, bacon, and sausage for breakfast
While biking to this trail, we ran into a mule deer. For some reason Patrick yelled Moose! hmm... He then quickly corrected himself and said it was a Cantalope.








The only downside to this bike ride was that the last 9 miles was just riding back up the canyon because we couldn't shuttle. We were so glad it wasn't hot. It was actually perfect weather for a hard bike ride, a nice cool breeze all day long.
Kevin being oh-so-strong helped me keep my pace with me holding on to his pack strap... and maybe also helped me completely when sometimes I would forget to peddle...
Yes when we got back after that 4 hour bike ride, I treated myself with s'mores for lunch
Later that day we decided to actually go into Bryce, but then regretted it when we had to pay $25 to just get into the park. Ridiculous. But when we got to see where Kevin had skied just a few months earlier and somehow got away with it, it was all worth it.


Awkward Mal
The next day we realized that without pillows (I had also forgotten pants..) we couldn't sleep one more night in that tent, so we decided to pack up and go to Virgin for a few hours then head home. Well the fastest way to go to Virgin, Utah (red bull rampage) was to go through Zions National Park. We again tried to talk our way out of paying ANOTHER $25 to get into this park (we just wanted to go to Virgin!), but the park ranger made us. It was $50 to see two national parks that, in my opinion, don't even match up to Lake Powell. I was quite disappointed, and this trip had quickly become more expensive then we had anticipated. Well the tunnel made it up to us. We liked the tunnel.
The boys loved Virgin, Utah. It was all the way freestyle. I had tried to be freestyle Mal, but the moment I got on that bike I somehow fell over by running into a small bush. This accident and the bugs led me to reading in the car for a few hours while the boys rode. I still somehow ended up with 20 million bug bites just on my face and neck. I hate Virgin.

No comments:

Post a Comment