Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Recipe: Light BBQ pizza


Who does't love BBQ pizza?
This time I decided to make it a little more healthy; with a cauliflower crust.
It was good.  But I still like normal flour-based crusts.  But thats not to say I won't make it again.  

Cauliflower Crust

1 head cauliflower
2 TB olive oil
salt and pepper
1/2 cup cornmeal 
2 eggs
2 t Italian seasoning (or just use oregano, marjoram, basil, & thyme)

Chop up the cauliflower.  Heat olive oil in pan.  Add cauliflower to pan when oil is hot.  Sauté and keep an eye on it and stir it up, you don't want to burn the cauliflower.  Cook until tender-crisp, about 10-15 minutes.  Let cool for a few minutes.  Place all of the above ingredients in blender.
Now spread out the crust on a pizza stone, parchment paper on a cookie sheet, or how I did it: on a homemade pizza maker.  My oven will not cook pizza (If your oven does, preheat to 450).  So I found a pizza maker at Walmart for $24 and decided to try it out.  It works much better.  So I just placed my cauliflower mix right on it and spread it out. 
You will want to bake it for about 20 minutes.  I flipped mine, because I was worried it would burn.  But let the edges get crispy.

BBQ Chicken Pizza 

1 cup cooked shredded chicken
1/2 cup (or so) BBQ sauce (we love Joe Morley's signature BBQ sauce the best)
mozzarella cheese
extra sharp cheddar cheese
thinly sliced red onions
fresh cilantro

I just put the BBQ sauce and 2 chicken breasts in the my slow cooker.  I let it cook on low for 4 or so hours.  I then shredded it, and made sure all pieces were covered in BBQ sauce.

Spread some sauce on the crust.  Add cheese, chicken, onions, cilantro and then top with some more cheese.  Bake for another 10 or so minutes and ENJOY!  I even had some more BBQ sauce on the side to  dip it in :)

Recipe via here.

No comments:

Post a Comment