Pages

Friday, April 13, 2012

recipe: homemade sushi



We were feeling like sushi tonight.  So we decided to make it ourselves and stay at home.
Sometimes we are the biggest homebodies.  
But we did have painting to do, so I will blame the painting.
My boss (also the chef) at my work was playing around with a new menu item.  He cut up some fresh, raw salmon and drizzled some truffle oil and other ingredients on it and had us test it out.  
Boy, my job is hard.  
It was delicious.  
I asked him if it was sushi-grade salmon, or a special grade of salmon.  
Nope it was just normal, fresh salmon.
So then I thought:  I need to make sushi with this.
So tonight I went to Harmon's, grabbed a filet of fresh salmon for $5 and Calrose rice (sushi rice) and got my sushi on.
We watched a lovely Japanese women show us how to cut the salmon correctly on youtube.
And with her help we had amazing, fresh sushi at home.
C'mon.  Get your sushi on.

Homemade Sushi

2 cups calrose sushi rice
2 cups water
4 Tb rice vinegar
3 Tb sugar
2 t salt

Place your rice and water in your rice cooker and cook away.  When it is done cooking, let it cool for a bit.  Mix vinegar, sugar and salt in seperate bowl. Coat rice.  The best and easiest sushi to make is made with room temperature rice.  We couldn't wait that long so we put it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes and that was fine.  It was still delicious.

Mix-ins

we used:
cucumber
avocado
salmon
toasted sesame seeds

you could also do:
cream cheese
crab
shrimp
teriyaki chicken
carrots
peppers
scrambled eggs
tempura (anything)

What else you'll need:

bamboo rolling mat (these are $2 at Harmons)
nori (dried seaweed)

If you need directions on how to actually roll and make the sushi, click here.  I have no idea how to roll it because Kevin did it all.  He did a mighty fine job :).


No comments:

Post a Comment