Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My 24th birthday

Birthdays growing up were big deals in my family.  We always had awesome birthday parties and our parents made us feel so special.  
Kevin thinks it's weird that I want a whole day of me, me, me and more me.  
I don't.  But he is getting used to it.  He is actually getting good at it.

This year I was awoken by fresh bear claw donuts from my favorite donut shop, Daylight Donuts.  They are always the first donuts to go; me and Kevin never get there early enough to get them every time we go.  But my mom got me the last three on my birthday.  And they are already gone.  I selflessly let Kevin eat one, me, two.  She also gave me fresh, homemade almond milk she had made that morning, a perfect card that describes me (that really was me in dance class when I was little), and a gift certificate to Whole Foods.  Happy Birthday Tofu.  And this was just a birthday day "treat". 

I had wanted to go on a bike ride in the morning, but it was raining.  But since it was also tax day (what a great day to share my birthday with) Kevin had to go turn in taxes and run 'errands'.  So I painted while I waited for him to get home.
We went out to lunch at Pirate O's, my lunch of choice.  They have awesome sandwiches.  My favorite is the #7.  They always have a coupon running in the money mailer, or you can always find them online and print them off.  And its always fun to look at all the many sodas, and weird candy they have.  Buffalo wing soda anyone?
Kevin had an unused massage gift card that I had given him last year for his birthday, so I decided we could both get birthday massages.  Win, win.  I am so self-less.  
I made sure the lady knew that I only wanted a feel-good massage, not a sore-in-the-morning massage.  She did a great job.  I had told her in the beginning that I really wanted my arms, back, shoulders and neck massaged, but halfway through I tried to explain to her that she could massage my legs as well.  
But since I was so relaxed, it came out weird:

"You...massage legs too?"
"Yes we do"
"Yea, k"

pause.

"I mean, yea you can massage those too...if you want...after your done up there...you know halfway through."

Just be quiet mal.  You are awkward.

You should have seen Kevin after his massage.  He looked like he was about to fall asleep he was so relaxed.  He had told his old, buff lady to be as 'rough' as she wanted.  She laughed.  
He said the majority of his massage was given by her forearm .  Ooph.  
But he loved it.  
When he walked out he says "Oh man, I feel so athletic right now! Like I could do anything!"

On the drive to the massage we got a huge rock chip from a rock truck on the freeway.  Of course my new windshield is only a few months old.  We new that we had to fix this darn chip right away, because it could get nasty fast.  So we took it to Safelite in Draper and they fixed it right away for us.  They did a really good job with it.  It went from huge chip, to little chip.  Thanks Safelite.

I loved being able to hang out with this handsome man all day. 
We had a little funeral for puppy.  We both gave a short eulogy.  Those were all the tulips in my yard.  

We then went on a fun,and hilly, bike ride with Patrick, my little brother-in-law.  I got to sport my new  helmet that my awesome husband had given me for the birthday.  I think that was one of his 'errands'.  You know men.  
He wanted to get a 'racer-mal' shot on my bike with my new racer helmet.  

We then tried to go to Joe Morley's for dinner. But didn't realize it was already 9.  They were closed by the time we got there.  So we then tried the only decent food place that is open after 9:  Cafe Rio.  It was so tasty after that bike ride.

You probably think all that would make a pretty fantastic birthday don't you?  
Well, I wanted to take it one step further.
Hunger Games.  For the second time.
And because it was discount tuesday at the theater.  Win, Win.
What a day.  

3 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome! I always want a whole me-day too. And Jacob does a great job at it, but he doesn't want that for himself which totally confuses me! Ps... I have never heard of Joe Morleys.... I am assuming it is really good since you wanted to go there for your bday? Should I try it???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a BBQ place that has the best BBQ sauce ever. And I really like it. I love brisket and BBQ beans and that sort of stuff. I honestly think my dad does better BBQ, but its one of the better BBQ places I have been to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mal I wish I could write like you! This post had me laughing hard multiple times!! I loved the message story ... Totally picture you telling the lady that she could message your legs too! Glad you had a good birthday ... Even more birthday fun this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete