Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

recipe: rustic crusty bread



Guys, this recipe is a keeper. I was so happy with how simple it was and how great it tasted. I will be making this over and over again. It will be perfect for grilled cheese and paninis. YUMMY.

Rustic Crusty Bread
2 loaves

1 1/2 tablespoons instant yeast
1 tablespoon salt
6 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting dough

In bowl, mix yeast, salt and 3 cups lukewarm water with wooden spoon. Add flour. Mix until there are no dry patches. Cover with towel and let rise 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 450 with pizza stone in it and a broiler pan beneath it. I let my oven heat up for a good 40 minutes while my bread was doing its second rise.

I halved this recipe so I just pulled out my bread onto floured parchment paper that I placed on the back of a baking sheet. Knead it just a little and form it into an easy oval/circle. Sprinkle top with flour, and cut three lines on top. Let rest for 40 minutes.

Use the baking sheet to slide the parchment paper and bread onto the pizza stone easily. Then, quickly, pour one cup water into the broiler pan and close oven door quickly so the steam does not escape.
Bake for 24-30 minutes.

And you've got dang good, crusty bread to dip in olive oil. Your husband is going to be impressed.

via Mel's Kitchen Cafe
For an easy how-to tutorial on this bread and better instructions go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment