Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

like a fire

This year we changed a Brower tradition (I make it sound like I have always been a part of this tradition, but I have only been a part of it for..two years? I actually got lucky the first time around; I was invited even before me and Kev were engaged. The rule had always been you have to actually be engaged or married to bring a date, but I guess they liked me :) ) We had always gone to The Roof as a family for a Christmas dinner. But due to Mitchell getting home after Christmas, we had to change things up a bit. So we tried out Fireside Dining up at Deer Valley on New Years Day. And it was so worth the change up.
So all the food you eat is located at fireplaces. Visit one fireplace to find a course of warm raclette cheese accompanied by steamed new potatoes, pearl onions, cornichons, cured Italian and Swiss meats and freshly baked baguettes. Continue to the next fireplace for simmering stews or fricassees with hearty alpine ingredients such as veal, duck, chicken, wild mushrooms, leeks, roasted tomatoes, root vegetables and herbs. Served with these are hand-grated, crisp, buttery potato rosti – a Swiss staple. Here, also find a field green salad tossed with a champagne shallot vinaigrette and served with homemade ciabatta bread. Another fireplace serves fire-roasted meats: leg of lamb, pork or venison roasted slowly by the fire, brushed with fresh herbs and seasoning, accompanied by Dutch oven specialties and a creative vegetable salad. Yeah that was my writing. ... Ok no it was not. Thank you deervalley.com; you word it so nicely.

They had a dessert bar that well, disappointed me. I was expecting top-notch (belgian callebaut maybe?) chocolate fondue: milk, dark, and white; and plenty of yummy treats to dip in it. They only had a carmel sauce, vanilla sauce, and a so-called chocolate sauce. I think it was fake chocolate. But I think I may just be a chocolate snob since my mom makes homemade chocolates and only uses the finest of chocolate. Yea.. I am a chocolate snob. But hey, if you are going to eat chocolate, I say you eat the best darn chocolate there is. Anyways.. I of course still ate it. I mean it was still edible. And they had good chocolate chip cookies to dip.
we're cute
The raclette cheese was by far my favorite.
the stews were all very good. I especially liked the short rib stew.
I decided I am not a fan of lamb. But it still looks really tasty
All these accompaniments for the cheese were extremely tasty

I recommend this experience to everyone. It was wonderful to just hang out with the whole family for hours and enjoy amazing food.

Ok hopefully this is my last Christmas break post. I am kind of sick of looking at everyone elses Christmas pictures, as well as my own. Its not Christmas time anymore, so lets move on people!

2 comments: