Pages

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

school lunch weird girl


Since we still don't have a dinner table, we eat off our coffee table. This is bad for me. I am a horribly messy person when it comes to food. When I was little I was super messy. My dad would just wait during every meal for me to spill all over myself; and every meal I did. Well for a few years recently, I got good at eating. I rarely spilled and was quite proud of myself. But now it is back. And now instead of my dad, Kevin waits for it. Every meal I spill on me and on the floor numerous times.

All throughout school I had my mom make me lunches. I refused to eat school lunches. I had a horrible fear, and this really was horrible of me, of the down syndrome kids licking their lunch trays clean of the ketchup, fry sauce and anything else left. I told myself I would never eat off of those or the utensils. I was such a prejudice little girl. I had a hard time even walking by the "resource" or "special" kids classrooms. Well my mom fortunately made the best lunches. I was always known as the girl with the weird lunches. She would pack stuff like hearts of palm, whole cucumbers, apples stuffed with peanut butter, cucumbers in vinegar, tuna fish mixtures , sandwiches wrapped in parchment paper... and the list goes on. For little kids- these foods were weird. But I loved them and I would eat it all, and there always was a lot to eat. I would sometimes try to sneak food out onto the playground because all my friends would get done before me and get anxious; but I always got caught. Back to the meaning of this... My mom would put the cucumbers and vinegar and other concoctions of sorts in plastic baggies. After I was done eating it, I would bite a whole at the bottom of the bag and drink, yes drink, the vinegar. Well today at our picnic lunch I did that same thing. Except I was out of practice. The whole bag of balsamic vinegar dripped down my neck and hair and onto my lap. So that was my messy, little-girl move of the day.
I also remember watching this fat kid eat bananas and chocolate pudding all the time in the cafeteria and I told myself I would never eat those.
I was a funny little girl.

Tonight I made wedge salads with this blue cheese dressing which is to die for. This is the only blue cheese dressing I will ever eat now. But be careful this wedge salad is messy! Well it was for me. I spilled more than usual.

Blue Cheese Dressing

1/4 pound crumbled blue cheese
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons buttermilk
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1-1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2-1/4 teaspoons white sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
ground black pepper to taste
Combine all in a bowl with a hand mixture.

Wedge Salad:
1 head iceberg lettuce, cut into 8 wedges
1 roma tomatoes, diced
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 pound crumbled blue cheese
I also added:
crumbled bacon
sliced apples
homemade candied pecans

2 comments:

  1. I had the same fear of school lunches! My mom made my lunch through high school! Oh, how embarrassing and wonderful at the same time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funnnnnnnyyyeee! I am learning so much about you! I knew about the spilling but not the reason for liking sack lunches!:)I thought you just liked my lunches!:) another new/old fear!

    ReplyDelete