Pages

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Chili Chocolate Chili




This recipe is supposed to be called Chipotle Chocolate Chili. Since me and Kev are not fans of heat, I opted out the chipotle sauce. But I did keep the chili powder in it, so hence the name CHILI Chocolate Chili. I wanted to make sure you didn't think I was special and just accidentally wrote chili twice.

Due to the recent cold weather, The crock-pot has been used non-stop. I love the smell of something yummy cooking all day, especially something warm on a cold, supposedly-fall day.

I wanted to make some homemade chili and I happened upon this recipe. It said chocolate in it and that was all I needed. I did change it quite a bit though. They used ground turkey, but this stuff just drives me nuts. Why does everyone think ground turkey is soo much better for you than ground beef? It's not. More times then not it has more sodium added to increase flavor. Hold the sodium and "natural flavoring", I want my ground beef. Just always get the lean ground beef. I also took out the cumin, because that tastes like dirt to me. And opted out the extra cans of diced tomatoes and kidney beans: I have a small crock-pot. I was hesitant to add the chili powder but am glad I added it. Just adds great flavor, not heat. And I added corn because I like it.

Chili Chocolate Chili (Crockpot Style)

1 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 red (or green) bell pepper, minced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 15-oz. cans diced tomatoes
1 14.5-oz. cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-oz. can beef broth
1 can corn
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped (optional; use to taste as needed; be careful, because too much will make your chili bitter)
3-4 Tbsp. red wine vinegar

sour cream
Chopped green onions
Shredded cheddar cheese

Heat oil and sauté onions. Add beef and cook until cooked through. When cooked through, add brown sugar and cocoa powder and stir until evenly coated. Add to crockpot. Saute chopped bell pepper in some oil; add to crock pot. Add tomatoes, beans, corn, beef broth, salt and pepper and stir.
Let this cook on high for an hour or two.
Add red wine vinegar and unsweetened chocolate. Add more of these if you want to play with the flavor. But be careful with the chocolate, you don't want your chili to become bitter and muddy.
Cook on high for another hour.

Adapted from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment