Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

don't endo.

So I got into a little accident mountain biking this week.  And I am only telling this story because it is a pretty funny one.  So here it goes:

I used to be called Downhill Mal.  I could go pretty fast.  
That was, until I crashed and all my confidence crashed with it.  
That was two years ago, so this season I was feeling pretty good. 
On our last ride, we started our downhill and I was feeling pretty confident.  
That was until I hit a rock.  I endo-ed and flew over my handle bars. 
It all happened so fast and I found myself skidding on my side and stomach and the bike somehow was flying and landing on me (a nice cushy landing for it, lucky bike).  Kevin luckily had stopped just down the trail and heard it happen.  He came running up and was expecting the worse.  I tried to hurry and stand up and tell him I was fine.  That wasn't a good idea.  I started to feel nauseous and that combined with the wind being knocked out of you, is not a fun one.  Kevin told me we should try and get off the trail so he got on my bike and told me to start walking down. 
This wasn't the greatest idea either.  I remember hearing myself muttering,

"Ugh, I can't really see, I kind of feel out of it Kevin...I don't feel good..." 

And then I hear "Lean back, lean back, lean back!"from Kevin.  But all I remember was being annoyed.

And then I blacked out.  
Kevin said he started to see my legs get all wobbly and rubber like as I tried to walk off and knew that wasn't good.  He quickly grabbed my backpack that I had on as I went limp.  My arms dangled in front of me as Kevin was holding me while trying to stay on my bike he had just gotten on. 
 He said I was out for a good five seconds.
Oh, to have seen that.
And then I came too and realized what had happened and started to laugh.
But in between those laughs I wanted to cry.  I do not deal well with pain, this is obvious.  
I had to lay down for a good twenty minutes before I felt ok to ride the rest of the trail down.
We both couldn't stop laughing as we rode down. 

My body can handle a little fear and adrenaline, but mix that with two road burns as well, forget about it!  I am knocking you out, it says!

Oh bless me when I have a child.

And now, for your viewing pleasure, here are some pictures my great husband took of me feeling and looking just fantastic.  
Ok, I actually told him to take some pictures.  I wanted some pictures of my sick road burns, but these are even better.  They make me laugh every time I see them.

And now I am off to buy some knee pads and elbow pads.  I am going to look real cool when I bike now.
   

1 comment:

  1. Mal!! No blacking out! I hope you are feeling better and can get over this crash. Someday you need to get Kevin to poke you with a needle and you will both pass out. Also, how do you manage to look like a model even when you are hurt?

    ReplyDelete