Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The day I was going to fly to Vegas...

So my brother-in-law had this great idea that we should all go to the airport and greet Elder Moser. He then took it a step further and said we should buy a refundable ticket so we could go all the way to the gate with Elder.
Everyone else chickened out except us sisters (kidding, we thought it would be best if only those who could control their emotions went).  We bought our ticket the night before and hoped that we could get it refunded.  But if for some reason we couldn't get the refund, we wanted to go somewhere close we could play.  So Vegas it was.  It was either that or Boise.  And Boise was double the price (?!).

We knew when Elder Moser was supposed to get there (we knew his whole flight schedule), so we made sure we got there before he did.  We checked in for our pretend flight to Las Vegas and waited.  
And waited.  
We started to get nervous so Chelsey went and asked the lady at AA if she could let us know if a certain someone had checked in.  She said she couldn't, but Chelsey put on a sad face and said it was our brother we hadn't seen for a few months.  She quickly told her he hadn't yet and shoo'd her on her way.  We then went and asked a Skycap worker how the whole missionary drop off worked.  
With all the acquired information we now knew that he hadn't checked in and that the missionaries came in large un-marked buses. 
Awesome.  Now only if they would show up.
And then, the heavens parted and a big blue bus showed up.  We looked threw the windows and lo' and behold...a bus full of Missionaries!  I have never been so excited to see Missionaries.  I got out the video camera my dad gave us (he wanted a play-by-play) to record him walking out of the bus.  We watched all the missionaries come off, and not one looked like Tyler.  We both ran over to the big group (giving up our stealth location) and started searching for the maybe-very-different-looking-Tyler-we-no-longer-recognized.  When we couldn't find him, we asked if any of them knew of an Elder Moser.  A Sister answered me with a "He is not on this bus," in which gave me a heart attack.  We had missed him, I thought.  "He is on the next bus she then said", pointing to another replica of their bus pulling up. 
Huzzah! 
I started recording as all the young elders got off and there he was!  Elder Moser!  I hear him say to another elder, "Look! There is your family", and then in a very confused tone "...and my family?"  Total surprise!  I started to run up, with the camera on, and gave him a hug (watching that film will not be fun).  Oh it was so good to see him again.
And he wasn't weird!  Hooray, this still was our brother!
We helped him and the other three elders he was flying with check in and check their luggage.  Both of  Tylers suitcases barely made the weight limit, carrying the next two years of his life in them.

We then got to hang out with him while we waited in the incredibly long security line.  An important question of his was "So was the second Dark Knight as good as the first?  Be honest."  

While waiting in line he pops in a mint.  And me being me, "Uck, here just chew some gum," and while I'm searching for a piece he goes "Mal, really?  I am a missionary.  I am on the Lords errand.  I can't chew gum!"
 I had bought a spongebob squarepants mini-puzzle and some crossword, word search and sudoku books for him for his long travels.  While I pulled them out to give to him, he takes one look at them and goes "Mal, I am going to be studying the whole time."  Like, duh, I should have known.  "Babylon", he then said.  Ha, and I had thought those were the least evil products. 

I still stuck the puzzle in his backpack while he wasn't looking.
Because I mean, who wouldn't get bored from studying the day and a half he is traveling?

I guess I will repent for that later.


Sadly, we only had enough time after security to walk them to their gate and watch them board immediately.  It was hard to get emotional when Tyler was so excited to go.  I won't forget when he looked back and waved at us before he got on the plane.  So cute.   
See you in a while bud. 

Oh and your wondering if we got a refund?
We did.
Beatin' the system over here.

Soo happy to see him.
Cute siblings :)
All of his roommates.  Tyler was the only one going to the Scotland/Ireland mission.
He is going to miss his roomies.
Chelsey and Ty.
Trying to check him in.
50 lbs!  Good work Ty.
Kinda blurry, but I thought it was a cute picture.  We gave our phones to the other two missionaries Ty was traveling to Chicago with so they could call their family.  One was from Utah, the other from Hawaii.  They were so grateful.  It was so sweet to see them talk to their families :)

2 comments:

  1. This is soooo cute and awesome!!! Who would have thought to buy a refundable ticket? I'm glad he is way excited :) I'm Tyler's friend melissa by the way haha. I hope it isn't weird that I'm commenting on this but I just love it! thanks for blogging about it!

    ps, you and your husband are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha I dont think it is weird at all! I am glad you can be updated on Ty!
      And thanks :) :)

      Delete