Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

the best new roast w/ red wine



ok so my job has a lot of cool extras: the cook makes us dinner every night before work. and these aren't no rice and beans meals. these meals are gooooood. we get salmon, scallops, clams, pork, steak, chicken - anything we serve, we eat. and because, duh, our cook is good, even the employee meals are good. well since I am such a great wife, and hate to waste food, any of the leftovers I box and take home. husband is especially appreciative of this. he gets to partake of my gourmet meals as well.
well sometimes a table will have leftovers. no, gross, I don't box my tables foods; I take home their leftover wine. no, I don't drink it. and no this isn't gross; the wine bottle never touches anyone hands but mine. i un-cork it, pore it, and re-pore it when necessary. well sometimes my tables get ambitious and buy two bottles of wine. some tables can handle it, some can't. when there is leftover wine, no way do we throw it away. most of the other servers take it home or drink it after work. i take it home to cook with. i took some home thursday night and got excited to use it, so I made a roast for tonight. and let me tell you, this roast was the best roast I have ever made. perfectly tender and perfectly moist. and don't worry, all the alcohol cooks out! i cooked it in my slow cooker on high for a good 4-5 hours. this takes out any alcohol.

heres the best recipe:

roast
2 tb flour
2 tb olive oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup red wine
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
carrots
potatoes
onions

heat the olive oil in a skillet. cover flour evenly on roast. brown roast on all sides, it will take at least 10 min. add to crock pot, then add water and red wine. cover with the seasoning. arrange onions on roast. add carrots and potatoes. cook on high for 4-5 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment