Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2012

recipe: Indian Sugar Cream Pie


I love Food Network Magazine.  They always have fantastic recipes and great tips.  They had an article on popular state pie's and this one looked like crème brûlée in pie form so I had to try it.  
And it was Y U M M Y!
Have you seen the vanilla beans at Costco?  I bought some to try them out and they have not disappointed.  They are pricey, but you can't put a price on how cool you feel when you add real vanilla bean to cookies, whipping cream, or pie.  They just taste that much better.

Indiana's Sugar Cream Pie

For The Crust
Use whatever pie crust recipe is your favorite.  I typically only like the one's that use Crisco in them.  I hate using this stuff, mostly because I believe in using real ingredients, like butter, but I know deep down a hatred comes from a childhood moment when I dipped my finger in it hoping it was frosting but quickly realized that this 'stuff' was nothing like my yummy pal frosting.

Let the dough rest in the fridge for 1-2 hours.  Roll out, place in pie plate and refrigerate for another 30 min.

For The Filling
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or 1/2-1 vanilla bean)
2 TB butter, cut up
1/8 tsp freshly grated  nutmeg (uhh..mine was not fresh)

Place a baking sheet on the middle rack and preheat oven to 425.  Mix together filling ingredients except the butter and nutmeg and pour into chilled pie dough.  Dot with the butter and sprinkle the top with nutmeg.  Place pie on baking sheet in oven and bake 10 minutes.  Reduce oven temperature to 350 and continue to bake for 55 minutes.  Let cool.  Serve warm, chilled or at room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. Haha. I never use fresh spices. It always tastes great anyway. Love your plate. Lets have lunch soon bye.

    ReplyDelete