Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

call me "the centurion"

My big century ride was last weekend.  My sister-in-law, mother-in-law and myself headed down to Logan on Friday.  We tried to carbo-load for dinner, but the Italian restaurant we wanted to go to was completely booked.  So we decided to go with steak and salad and got spoiled at Hamiltons.  We then followed our meal with some ice cream, and because I found a $20 bill while walking into Charlies Ice Cream, the cones were on me.  My caramel ice cream cone was probably the best ice cream I have ever had.  That Charlie knows what's up.
We went to our hotel and knew we were in the right place when we walked in and ladies and road bikes were everywhere.  That hotel was packed.  We got ready for bed and ended our night with stretches that had us all laughing.  
The next morning we woke up at 6:15 am.  Good heavens that is early for me.  Good thing I was anxious for the race.
I wasn't too happy about the 64 degree overcast weather that was happening that morning, but once we got on the bike, it was glorious.  We had that weather for the first 50 or so miles and my heart was so thankful.  
I really enjoyed these first 50 miles.  We rode with a group that had a great pace for a good 10 miles, on a smooth, new road.  We were averaging 20 mph and it felt so good.  I then got lazy while taking a drink and dropped my water bottle.  I lost the group.  I was this close to forgetting about my water bottle but then realized I had a long day of biking still ahead of me.  When I got off my bike and ran back for my water bottle, I almost fell over from the fatigue in my legs and a group of bikers laughed at me.  Good thing I was laughing too or I would have pushed them over as they rode by.  
At 50 miles we got to stop for a yummy lunch of subway and costco cookies.  Boy that chocolate chip cookie was good.  And that shot of diet coke Lorna found for me wasn't too shabby either.  After a good stretching session and sunscreen applying session, we were on our way.  
This was when it started to get tough.  The later half of the century ride included many more hills (There was one in the first 50 miles) and many more poorly paved roads which can ruin your average.  The next 20 miles went by slowly.  When we got to our 70 mile stop, we were pooped.  If we would have known what the next 30 miles were going to be like, we probably would  have turned around then and called it good.  But good thing we were oblivious.
We finished our ride at 5 hours and 59 minutes.  We were so happy to be done.  And I was so proud of myself.  
I then ate a whole Cafe Rio pork salad.  I have never done that before.  I was so proud.  Im sure that took up a good portion of the 6,000 calories I had burned.

I have yet to get back on my bike.  
Tomorrow maybe.
Or next week.  
I will let my legs decide.  



No comments:

Post a Comment